As of 10/21
COVID-19 has had a profound impact across every aspect of our school system, including the admissions process. As a result, the DOE is updating their pre-pandemic admissions timeline to ensure ample time for families to explore schools and apply once the application launches. Please note:
- The middle school application is not yet open, and it no longer closes on December 4, 2020. You will have additional time to apply.
- We appreciate your patience and will update you with more detailed information and a timeline as soon as we can.
- Sign up for our middle school admissions email list(Open external link) and we’ll notify you when the application opens! You will also get updates, key date reminders, and tips throughout the admissions process.
What You Can Do Now
- Explore schools and programs with the searchable MySchools middle school directory.(Open external link) You don’t need an account to start browsing!
- Search. Type any school’s name in the search box to learn more about it. Search for schools by features or offerings, such as “debate” or “band.”
- Filter. Use the filter buttons below the search box to narrow down the list of schools based on what is important to you, such as accessibility, location near a specific subway line, sports offered, and more.
- Learn where your child can apply to middle school. In NYC, students are eligible to apply to middle school in their middle school district (based on their home address) and, when different, in the district where they currently attend elementary school.
- Use this map tool (Open external link) to look up your child’s school district(s).
Schools on Your Application
In your child’s personalized online application, you’ll be able to see and explore every middle school program that they’re eligible to apply for and, if they get an offer, to attend. Middle schools have different eligibility criteria:
- District schools offer a program or programs open only to students in the district where your family is zoned for middle school and, when different, in the district where your child goes to public elementary school.
- Boroughwide schools offer a program or programs that are open to all students in your borough.
- Citywide schools offer a program or programs open to all NYC students.
Some schools or programs require an additional test or audition. Learn more on each school’s website or in the NYC Middle School Directory; scroll down to find the directory for your district.
Diversity in Middle School Admissions
Middle schools across the city are participating in an initiative to increase diversity within their programs—learn more on our Diversity in Admissions page.
Your Middle School Choices
- 2020 NYC Middle School Admissions Guide. Use last year’s guide to start exploring programs in your district and learn about middle school admissions, including admissions methods and priorities for specific middle schools. For the most up-to-date admissions information, please refer to MySchools.
Thank you for bearing with us during these uncertain times.